7 Tips For Taking A Great Girls’ Trip Without Breaking The Bank
After all, aren't we all eager to get away??
“Roam if you want to/ Roam around the world/ Roam if you want to/ ... the trip begins a kiss.” —“Roam” by the B-52s
Okay, gals, where are you going to roam? Are you going to go across the country, go across an ocean or explore that neighborhood across town? Traveling opens your eyes to the world and lets new sensations into your soul. And a trip doesn’t have to clean out your savings account.
There are so many places to choose from. Imagine the smell of pungent BBQ from a truck in Nashville; the warm, chocolaty aroma of a caffe latte in San Francisco’s North Beach; or what you can see from atop the Eiffel tower. Wherever you go, relish the new.
1. Every little bit of savings helps! AARP member discounts can help when booking your trip. The AARP Travel Center Powered by Expedia offers an extra 10 percent off at Best Western Hotels & Resorts, Wyndham Hotels & Resorts and Choice Hotels. A simple search can take you places.
2. Don’t forget a fun set of wheels to cruise around in. You are also eligible for car rental discounts as an AARP member. Members can save up to 30 percent on base rates at Avis Rent A Car and Budget Rent A Car, and 5 percent off Payless Car Rental. Members can also get 43 percent off an annual Zipcar membership plus $40 in free driving credit.
3. If your trip takes you to Paris, roaming the streets can cost you nothing. Your senses come alive when you see streets filled with color or smell flowers in bloom. Go out to Père Lachaise Cemetery to visit the gravesites of some of your idols — Jim Morrison and Oscar Wilde, for two. Rent an Airbnb and your money will go farther, so you can stay longer! Check out other great travel tips on aarp.org/travel including "The Budget Traveler's Guide to Top Destinations."
4. Stay safe! Don’t let your guard down when traveling and think twice about using free phone charging stations. Check out AARP's Cybersecurity Safety Tips for Travelers and learn other ways to protect your personal data away from home and decrease your chance of dealing with unwanted and stressful credit card security issues. Nothing hurts post-vacation bliss like calls to your bank.
5. No need to splurge on a copy of that must-read book just yet — instead, wait to borrow it from a friend. And download free podcasts that you won’t want to pause. Listen to AARP’s weekly podcast, The Perfect Scam, which profiles America’s biggest scam stories and relays some incredible compelling personal stories from scam victims and their families. Plus, learn from interviews with professional con artists and leading experts.
6. There are smart ways to visit Washington, D.C., too. Take advantage of the free museums: The private Phillips Collection waives the admission fee to its permanent collection on Tuesdays through Fridays. At the Kennedy Center, catch a free performance at 6 p.m. Try lunching at Sweetgreen or Rasa.
7. Or maybe your gal pal adventure will be exploring your own backyard. You don’t have to go overseas to experience something new. What about going to the town across the river that you’ve never been to? Round up your girlfriends and rent a hotel in an area that’s new to you. Go to supermarkets filled with unfamiliar foods, eat from street vendors and talk to the locals. You’ll be surprised at how much is going on right next door.
Did you know AARP membership provides instant access to hundreds of benefits and discounts, plus a subscription to AARP The Magazine? AARP offers programs to the 50+ and supports The Girlfriend. Join for only $12 for your first year with automatic renewal. Plus, get a free gift. Join now.