Stories of women tossing their bras and going without undies in an effort to finally be comfortable have become redundant. You probably know of at least one person who loves to share the fact that she burned her bras and is done with underpants forever — because she doesn’t want to ever feel an underwire pinching or a panty pulling. For everyone else, we have a simple solution. We searched high and low for great, comfortable underwear. It’s so comfy, in fact, that it will feel just like you’re wearing nothing. But you’ll still get the support you need — no underwire required.
Your panties should feel like a second skin. They shouldn’t budge, itch or hold moisture. Is that so difficult? These do a spectacular job.
- Soma Vanishing Tummy Modern Brief: With a double-layered microfiber front panel, these silky soft panties stay in place — and they’re supportive and breathable. Bonus: They smooth your tummy without you even noticing it. $24 at Soma.com
- Lululemon UnderEase Mid-Rise Bikini: They’re sweat-wicking, breathable, stretchy, chafe-resistant and smooth. Basically, these are your perfect pair of panties. $18 at Shop.Lululemon.com
You may have avoided thongs your entire life because most feel like a permanent wedgie. But thongs do serve a purpose. They look fabulous under slinky dresses, and they’re also good for workouts if you choose to wear underwear when you exercise since they can handle sweat better than bikini briefs (it’s totally OK to go without, though). These two thongs will make you forget you’re wearing anything, which is an incredible feat for a thong.
- Spanx Under Statements Thongs: Don’t be alarmed — these will not try to shape your body in any way (despite being Spanx, they don’t have shaping technology). They have a laser-cut edge so you won’t have visible panty lines anywhere, and the lightweight fabric is airy and wicking. $20 at Spanx.com
Bras for smaller breasts
Sure, you may be able to go without a bra, but sometimes … you feel better with one.
- True & Co True Body Boost Bra: We searched everywhere for a bra that would feel as good as wearing nothing (because we have barely there breasts, so we were perfectly happy wearing nothing). We landed on this one, which is so silky smooth that it actually feels better than wearing nothing. This is a padded bra, but the pads are removable if you don’t want to deal with them. Starts at $49 at Amazon.com
- Warner’s Easy Does It No Bulge Bralette: This wire-free bra is smooth and stretchy, and it adjusts to your body. Available in sizes XS–2XL, this is for everyone who wants support without actually feeling their support. $38 at Macys.com
Bras for big girls
You need support, but you don’t want a bra that will leave marks on your chest. It should be supportive, not painful.
- MINDD Mid V Wirefree Lined Bra: Created specifically for D+ sizes, this wire-free bra looks like a bralette and feels like a crop top. But does it work? According to 100 percent of the reviewers, it’s a miracle worker. $68 at Minddbra.com
- Harper Wilde The Bliss: The microfiber bralette is wireless and available in sizes XS–3XL. It lifts, supports and eliminates back fat. $45 at Harperwilde.com
These can often feel like Victorian corsets that you’re expected to exercise inside. Simply putting them on and taking them off can make us work up a sweat. But we found two that feel so good, you won’t want to take them off.
• Knix Catalyst Sports Bra: This is super supportive, so even those with larger girls will be able to run, jump and play in this sports bra (it goes up to a G cup). Unlike most sports bras, this one has adjustable straps. It should feel snug at first — it’s essential that you read the info on the site about sizing and fit to find your best size — but will ease with wear and washing until it feels like a second skin. $89 at Knix.com